Welcome to my Journey!

Hey there you lucky reader! You've perhaps stumbled upon or searched for a way to help yourself with getting into graduate school. Maybe you too have no idea what you are doing, or maybe you just need some support along the way.

I made this blog because I thought it would be nice to help other people realize that they are never alone when life throws all of these new expectations at us! 100-years ago, it was awesome if you finished high school. 50-years ago, you were a genius if you went all the way to college. Now, you're not so special unless you bite the bullet and go the whole nine -- graduate school, medical school, law school.

Of course, we are a great generation and our parents have raised us well! We can make it that far if we just try, but since we are all getting into this while in our twenties, we are expected to go about it relatively independently. With this blog, I will denote the motions of someone who has had no need for such independence suddenly taking things into her own hands -- because I don't have a choice...

I will get into grad school if it's the last thing I do! Who's with me?

My basic facts

My photo
North Carolina, United States
I'm 24 and boring. Look, blogs.

21 August 2010

Grad School: Why think about it?

Some of you -- if there are any of you, here -- may want to know why I have been seriously thinking about going to graduate school. I reckon now is as good a time as any to express why I've come to this conclusion (decision). Following are the several reasons why I have chosen going to grad school is my best option thus far.
Comfort and Familiarity

According to my mother, I've been in the school system since before I could walk. I was a head-start kid which means I was in school effectively since I was three. I started going to summer camp when I was nine, but the camp I went to was more of a voluntary advanced summer school than your traditional summer camp. I spent a lot of my youth in libraries, I enjoy reading research journals, I've subscribed to Scientific American and Wired magazines, and I get excited about trips to the bookstore and Staples.

Being associated with with learning or knowledge are among the things I know and love the best. I'd enjoy going to a museum a trillion times more than going to the movies. I care less about how classy a food is and more about its scientific complexity or its history. Video games that demand puzzle-solving and strategy are more appealing than mindless shoot-em-ups and racers [Disclaimer: I still enjoy Mario Kart and Bubble Shooter as much as the next person]. That's just how I am.

One of the reasons I even came to college was because I couldn't think of anything else to do but continue going to school. And frankly, I didn't want to do anything else at the time. The same reasoning applies to my feelings towards grad school. It's something I'm used to -- going to class, doing homework -- and something I don't mind doing.

Necessity

Luckily enough -- and unluckily, too -- I can't perform within my field of interest (Psychology) without going to grad school and getting at least a Masters degree anyway... It's understandable, I suppose, because I'm sure people don't want to be treated by some cocky, wet-behind-the-ears college graduate. Yes, we understand the textbook science of psychology, but as with any medical field, there are techniques vital to treatment that cannot be taught with a textbook. Also, what we learn in school is only a small part of what is the complex nature of how people are affected by psychological successes and failures.

Not wanting to feel useless or anything, I figured I should go through with grad school. That way my parents would see I'm worth something more than my accrued debt. Seeing as I can only make my major seem worthwhile by working in the field, I need to go to grad school.

Desire

It would be prudent of me to say I didn't just want to go to grad school. I think it'd be a nice experience for me and would grant me the opportunity to grow significantly as a person. That makes sense, yes? Good.

That's all,
~Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to leave a comment.